Disinformation is all around us!
This month we are talking to Lauren Hamm from EU DisinfoLab, which is focusing on analysing and deconstructing propaganda campaigns in the EU and making policy recommendations to the decision makers.
We tackle the issue of joint responsibility, the problem of so-called “neutral intermediaries” and the reasons behind the uptick of propaganda in the times of pandemic.
Music provided by Cousin Silas
Citizen D advice:
- Practice media literacy and critical reading
- Influence the decision-making process and demand responsibility from intermediaries
- Stay safe!
- What is an infodemic?
- COVID-19 conspiracy theories: comparative trends in Italy, France, and Spain: In this blog post, EU DisinfoLab shed light on the emergence of COVID-19 conspiracy theories and take a look at the trends in Italy, France, and Spain.
- Out-of-context photos are a powerful low-tech form of misinformation
- COVID-19 and 5G: A case study of platforms’ content moderation of conspiracy theories: EU DisinfoLab traced back the diffusion and content moderation timeline of a 5G-Coronavirus conspiracy theory video across several online platforms.
- Renee DiResta for Wired – Free speech is not the same as free reach
- COVID-19 Disinformation: narratives, trends, and strategies in Europe: Based on the monitoring of independently fact-checked disinformation from France, Italy, and Spain, EU DisinfoLab were able to draw trends from the content, such as the strategies and platforms used to disinform
- Coronavirus is a breeding ground for conspiracy theories – here’s why that’s a serious problem
- Platforms’ responses to Covid-19 Mis- and Disinformation: EU DisinfoLab analysed the blogposts, statements, and updates in policies from the platforms to combine a comprehensive overview of the measures undertaken.
About the podcast:
Podcast Citizen D gives you a reason for being a productive citizen. Citizen D features talks by experts in different fields focusing on the pressing topics in the field of information society and media. We can do it. Full steam ahead!