Hans de Zwart is a lecturer and researcher at the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences and he recently started a project Racism and technology. He was the Executive Director of the Dutch digital civil rights organisation Bits of Freedom, fighting for freedom of communication and privacy on the internet.
In the past he was Shell’s Senior Innovation Adviser for Global HR and Learning Technologies, before that a Moodle consultant for Stoas Learning and he started his career as a Physical Education teacher at a high school in Amsterdam.
We sat down with Hans to talk about his Big Lebowski Quotes project that inadvertedly showed a deeper problem of digital oligarchy and the
Citizen D advice:
- Do not rely on automated content systems to solve the social problems of free speech
- Store your content on mediums and platforms you have complete control over
- Watch Big Lebowski, it’s an awesome movie!
- Big Lebowski Quote Search Engine – website
- How The Dude Was Duped By Big Tech – article
- We can’t let tech companies use algorithms to police us after COVID-19 – article
- Big Tech is overselling AI as the solution to online extremism – article
About the podcast:
Podcast Citizen D gives you a reason for being a productive citizen. Citizen D features talks by experts in different fields focusing on the pressing topics in the field of information society and media. We can do it. Full steam ahead!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Join the discussion