The Sleeping Giants campaign highlighted the issue of hate funding through digital advertising and showed that relationship between ad companies and propaganda outlets is higly problematic and highly ignored by the people responsible.
We sat down with tech marketer turned activist, Nandini Jammi, who made her name with the Sleeping giants movement which targeted propaganda funders online. She’s also a co-founder of Check my ads, a company that offers brand safety trainings.
We discussed the propaganda funding through opaque online digital ad system, the ways to address and solve this issue and the role of a critical consumer.
Music by Count Silas
Citizen D advice:
- Be a critical consumer and demand corporate social responsibility
- Demand a public conversation around the topic of ads funding hate
- Thing globallly, act locally!
- New York Times: Revealed: The People Behind an Anti-Breitbart Twitter Account – article
- I’m leaving Sleeping Giants, but not because I want to – article
- How an Activist Group Turned to the Dark Side to Hit Breitbart Where It Hurts – article
About the podcast:
Podcast Citizen D gives you a reason for being a productive citizen. Citizen D features talks by experts in different fields focusing on the pressing topics in the field of information society and media. We can do it. Full steam ahead!