Dr. Daniel Rogers is a physicist, an author, and an expert in cryptography, cybercrime, disinformation, and security. He’s currently working as a CTO at the Global Disinformation Index (GDI) where they aim to disrupt, defund and down-rank disinformation sites.
He is a co-founder of Terbium Labs. Previously, Danny managed a portfolio of physics and sensor research projects at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory. He currently teaches in the Cybercrime and Global Security Masters Program at New York University’s Center for Global Affairs and is a Security Fellow at the Truman Project on National Security.
Digital advertising is one of the key funders of propaganda and hate speech media outlets that distort and manipulate public opinion. Be it because of algorithmic mismanagement or targeted financing through advertising contracts, these digital financial mechanism are rarely discussed or addressed which enables the hate peddlers to thrive on.
The solutions of disinformation combating usually rely on fact-checking endeavours which emphasise the role of a responsible and critical media consumer, always on the look-out for a hoax or a disinformation campaign. In reality, digital users are guided by emotions, media outlets are targeting them with disinformation in order to achieve a political, not just monetary goal and reported cases higlight the involvement of public funds (Greece, Slovenia, other EU members).
What’s the economy of digital hate, what role does the user play and where does the advertising industry come in?
Citizen D advice:
- Rethink economical and political aspects of disinformation countering
- Request political responsibility
- Regulatory models should address these issues
- How Ad Tech Wound Up Monetizing Sanctioned Russian Websites – article
- Pandemic relief aid went to media that promoted COVID misinformation – article
- Disinformation Is Among the Greatest Threats to Our Democracy. Here Are Three Key Ways to Fight It – article
- Misinformation During a Pandemic – research paper
- Disrupting Disinformation: A Global Snapshot of Government Initiatives – report
- Bankrolling Bigotry: An Overview of the Online Funding Strategies of American Hate Groups – report
About the podcast:
Podcast Citizen D gives you a reason for being a productive citizen. Citizen D features talks by experts in different fields focusing on the pressing topics in the field of information society and media. We can do it. Full steam ahead!