Dr. Rys Farthing, the director of Children’s Policy at Reset Australia, an affiliate of Reset, an initiative working to counter digital threats to democracy across the world.
Dr. Farthing is focusing on securing children’s rights in the digital age and in our discussion we’ve touched upon the historical development of this field, the many misguided solutions that we have rejected over the years and the road forward.
Our discussion also touched upon the fabled self-regulatory model and its many issues that prevented actionable defense of digital rights in the past plus a look onwards where we can finally see a glimmer of hope.
Citizen D advice:
- Consider digital users as citizens, not as workers or consumers
- Transpose workable solutions from offline to online
- Reject the self-regulatory model
- The General Comment – website
- Age-appropriate design – article
- Why the Era of Big Tech Self-Regulation Must End – article
- Regulating online – safety lessons from Australia – article
About the podcast:
Podcast Citizen D gives you a reason for being a productive citizen. Citizen D features talks by experts in different fields focusing on the pressing topics in the field of information society and media. We can do it. Full steam ahead!
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Join the discussion